Monday, January 12, 2015

Losing weight can be enlightening

At the beginning of 2014 I told myself I wanted to be fit. Fit by movie standards can be having a six pack abs . But I set myself some meaningful number to achieve which was a BMI <25. Through half of the year, I was no where close to what I wanted to achieve, it disheartened me a little.
I took the challenge once again and set a date of Oct 19 which was the date I set because it was the date for which Archana and I were flying for Singapore for a week long vacation. A little silly desire was to look good in the photos.
I took a Nike+ running coach and practiced running regularly. Overall I finally achieved my target but the journey itself was very enlightening. The best thing I learnt was - average was easily achievable but to move the needle just by a bit from there was were the real effort was needed. I originally averaged over 8min/km  and to bring to 7min/km was quick. The culmination and the real joy came when I ran my 5k under 6mins/km.

Not to waste your effort on some something you will later regret was something that got implanted in me deeply after this.  It takes a great deal of motivation to wake up and run a 5k. But the joy post the run is incredible and the freshness stays with you throughout the day. Its the kind of feeling that makes your effort worthwhile which you don't want to waste on a cheesy pizza or a tasteless ice cream. I may have annoyed people by being choosy because it's the freshness which I want to relish but not something which I'd later regret.

I'd now want to apply this to time . having read Steve Jobs biography just now, I'm just amazed by the amount of focus he has and the kind of achievements he has. He has been through his fair share of sorrows but they did not deter him from being what he is! Probably one thing I can learn is to focus. Make time spent feel it is really worthy.

Remembering the Rudyard Kipling's poem
If you can fill the minute with sixty seconds worth the distance run
Yours is earth and everything in it.

Go!!!!

No comments: