Monday, November 19, 2012

Memoirs from Africa


  What can you possibly learn from Zambia,Africa?, Which based on our stereotype a underdeveloped country with malnutrition & primitive ways of living!. Well, Before I traveled to Zambia, The only knowledge I had was from the book, Jupiter's Travels by Ted Simon. Only characteristics I remembered were Friendly people every where & Samboosas..
I've seen both in plenty !

   There 2 more things in plenty Happiness & Discipline, 

   It really feels positive when some one.. literally ever one you see greets you saying "hello!","good morning","how are you doing today?", It definitely feels surprising to hear this from a stranger for some one from Bangalore, where people are always cursing traffic, Fighting people fleecing for every bit of your money,  
  
  As usual I was late to book the tickets to Livingstone which is a 500 km journey from Lusaka , While I was disappointed waiting near the ticket counter for the next bus after 3 hours, a lady asked if we are interested for a drive to Livingstone in her car, I was naturally little skeptical, Well its a different country!. When I saw the car!. I was jumping with joy inside!. Its a E-class Mercedes !. I said "Lets go!!" :) The journey was a pure bliss!.. Chilled weather ,a bigg jungle all along the way, with small huts on the sides , Small kids selling mangoes, kids running towards the road seeing a vehicle with a hope of selling some mangoes. Many times I felt little sad that I couldn't buy making the kids a little disappointed   I was hoping they are having a better life in such place which is very far from civilization!.
  Lusaka resembled a small town in India, But had a horrible traffic, with choking roads, It was a a eye opening experience that every one is very disciplined about traffic with hardly any traffic police & traffic signals ! Every one follows the rules,road signs, lane discipline like children reciting rhymes from text books, To the true sense and the intention of the Rule!. Coming back to Bangalore , I was absolutely disgusted looking at how people carelessly drive risking lives!, Honking like maniacs!. Some thing to learn from Africa !!.
  
  When FDI was introduced in India, Dr Manmohan Singh addressed the nation with a thought provoking quote, "No body will help those who don't help themselves!", Yes I felt the help Zambia was getting from UN was much deserved!. Much to my surprise there wasn't a single beggar on the streets in Lusaka, & in a popular tourist place as Livingstone , Not even a single beggar!. Every one does a bit!. Although at its appearance Its not a prosperous place, It is wonderful people are doing every bit to be self sufficient, 
  
   Should learn happiness with what we have & discipline under all circumstances!

    

No comments: